Polestar is gearing up to launch three new models in the next two years, including a station wagon (estate or shooting brake) version of the Polestar 4 that harkens back to the company's Volvo roots. The Geely-owned Swedish company sold a record 61,000 EVs in 2025, but hopes that the new models will help it take an even bigger bite out of the market. "We want to get more volume out of a bigger cake," CEO Michael Lohscheller said.
Polestar currently offers two models in the US, the Polestar 3 and Polestar 4, both SUVs. However, the new Polestar 4 will come in two variants, one a traditional SUV as before and the other a four-door wagon-type version that combines "the space of an estate and the versatility of an SUV," Loscheller said. "It's all the good things from the current car, but it's a bit more practical." This new model is due later this year and will be built in Busan, South Korea in order to avoid US tariffs on cars built in China.
The automaker is also planning to release a new version of the Polestar 2 targeted at young buyers, though that one is unlikely to come to the US. It will be slightly longer for more passenger space and be produced in China like the current model 2.
Polestar
Finally, the Polestar 7 will be a compact SUV in the same family as Volvo's EX60, set to arrive in Europe to address the fast-growing compact SUV segment. "We are convinced that we can offer customers a progressive performance-driven car for a very attractive price point, built in Europe," Lohscheller said.
The new models are designed to help Polestar hit its goal of 60 percent of EV sales worldwide by "targeting the big profit pools of the BEV segment," Lohscheller stated. Following Polestar's withdrawal from the hyper-competitive Chinese market, Europe accounts for 78 percent of its sales and the US most of the rest but the company hopes to boost its fortunes in the latter. "People forget that the U.S. is a big EV market, especially on the east and west coasts," the CEO added. "And it will stay a big market."This article originally appeared on Engadget at https://www.engadget.com/transportation/evs/polestar-unveils-a-station-wagon-version-of-the-4-144025505.html?src=rss
Cameo, the platform where celebrities sell short, personalized videos, has scored a preliminary win in a trademark lawsuit against OpenAI. A California judge has ruled that the AI company's video generation tool Sora cannot use the term 'cameo' or any variation likely to cause confusion. A temporary restraining order in the case was originally granted in November of last year.
The suit was first brought in response to a feature available within the Sora app at launch called 'Cameo' that allowed users to add any likeness to videos they generated. Cameo claimed the use of the term in this setting was likely to cause confusion and could dilute their brand. OpenAI then carried on with the feature despite the suit.
U.S. District Judge Eumi Lee ruled on Saturday that Cameo's lawsuit was likely to succeed and granted a preliminary injunction, blocking OpenAI from continuing to use the name. An OpenAI spokesperson responded to the ruling saying, "We disagree with the complaint's assertion that anyone can claim exclusive ownership over the word cameo, and we look forward to continuing to make our case," according to Reuters.
This is just the latest in a string of intellectual property cases against AI companies that have accelerated as video generation capabilities have improved across the board. Rights holders of all kinds from authors and music publishers to major movie studios have taken the likes of OpenAI, Anthropic, Perplexity and others to court, seeking to protect their IP.This article originally appeared on Engadget at https://www.engadget.com/ai/federal-court-rules-that-openai-must-stop-using-the-term-cameo-124559072.html?src=rss
Tesla has stopped using the term Autopilot to sell its cars in California, thereby avoiding a 30-day sales and manufacturing ban in the state. If youll recall, a California administrative law judge ruled in December that the automaker misled consumers by using the terms Autopilot and Full Self-Driving. The judge recommended the suspension, but the California DMV gave Tesla 60 days to remove any untrue and misleading language in its marketing materials. In its announcement, the DMV said Tesla has taken corrective action and has stopped using Autopilot for marketing. Prior to that, the automaker has already clarified that driver supervision is still needed with Full Self-Driving. The judge was ruling on a complaint the DMV made back in 2022, wherein the agency accused Tesla of making and disseminating misleading statements. It argued that starting in May 2021, Tesla used deceptive marketing materials with the labels Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability, as well as claimed that the system is designed to be able to conduct short and long-distance trips with no action required by the person in the drivers seat. In reality, the vehicles equipped with those features could not at the time of those advertisements, and cannot now, operate as autonomous vehicles, the DMV said. A ban in California could have had a huge effect on the company, seeing as the state accounts for nearly a third of its sales in the country. Tesla also recently announced that it will stop the production of its Model S and X cars to turn its Fremont, California factory where they were being manufactured into a space for the production of its Optimus humanoid robots. Tesla has huge plans for Optimus and intends to start selling the robot to the public by the end of 2027. This article originally appeared on Engadget at https://www.engadget.com/transportation/evs/tesla-stops-using-autopilot-to-promote-its-evs-in-california-112533060.html?src=rss
Meta just announced a deal to buy "millions" of NVIDIA Blackwell and Rubin GPUs in a new long-term partnership. As part of that, the social media giant will deploy NVIDIA's Confidential Computing for WhatsApp, "enabling AI-powered capabilities across the messaging platform while ensuring user data confidentiality and integrity."
As part of the deal, Meta committed to using NVIDIA's Confidential Computing for WhatsApp messaging to allow AI inside the app while guaranteeing user data confidentiality. That technology will let Meta secure data during computation, not just when it's being shuttled to a server. It also allows software creators like Meta or third-party AI agent providers "to preserve their intellectual property," NVIDIA wrote on a blog about the technology.
Meta will also be the first to deploy NVIDIA's Grace CPUs in a standalone way, instead of incorporating them with GPUs. They're designed to run inference and agentic workloads when running in this fashion. Meta will also be using NVIDIA's Spectrum-X Ethernet switches.
Meta announced earlier this year that it would spend up to $135 billion on AI in 2026, so it's not a surprise that a big chunk of that is going toward NVIDIA. However the numbers involved, likely in the "tens of billions" according to analysts, represent a significant expansion of the partnership between the two companies. Meta plans to build up to 30 data centers, including 26 in the US, by 2028 as part of a $600 billion commitment.This article originally appeared on Engadget at https://www.engadget.com/ai/meta-will-run-ai-in-whatsapp-through-nvidias-confidential-computing-110002283.html?src=rss
YouTube is experiencing an outage across the United States, with users in other countries like Canada, India, the Philippines, Australia and Russia also having problems with accessing the website. The issue seems to have started at around 8 PM Eastern time and reached 338,000 reports on Downdetector before starting to taper down. More users reported having issues accessing the app, but I personally lost access to the web homepage first. As of 9:22 PM, users are still reporting being unable to access YouTube on Reddit. As of 9:33 PM, users are complaining that they still cant access the service, though others say its back up for them. Some people are reporting partial restoration of service, with the homepage now being accessible but not seeing any recommended videos. Downdetector also got thousands of reports of Google being down at around 8 PM Eastern time. As of 9:53 PM, Engadget Managing Editor Cherlynn Low reports that both YouTube and Google Home Assistant are still inaccessible for her. As of 10:12PM Eastern, Team YouTube posted on X that the issue has been completely fixed. While it didnt say why YouTube went down, the team acknowledged the problem before 9PM and posted an update 20 minutes later that its recommendation system was having issues, even though its homepage was back. Update, February 17, 2026, 10:27 PM ET: YouTube says the issue has been completely fixed.Update, February 17, 2026, 10:08 PM ET: Updated with reports that certain Google services are also down for some users.Update, February 17, 2026, 9:34 PM ET: Updated with reports from users.Update, February 17, 2026, 9:26 PM ET: Updated to correct time of outage, added new countries where its out and added new reports of YouTube still being inaccessible.This article originally appeared on Engadget at https://www.engadget.com/big-tech/youtube-was-down-for-thousands-of-users-in-the-us-020718788.html?src=rss
Anyone who's been paying even a little bit of attention to tech news lately could have made a reasonable guess that AI will be a big topic at Samsung's Unpacked next week. Ahead of the event, Samsung teased some of what's to come for AI in terms of the Galaxy S26 smartphone lineup's photography tools. The S26 phones will feature a new camera system using Galaxy AI that combines capturing, editing and sharing of photos and videos. "Users will be able to turn a photo from day to night in seconds, restore missing parts of objects in images, capture detailed photos in low light, and seamlessly merge multiple photos into a single, cohesive result," a company rep said. The video clips Samsung shared demonstrated the before and after results of using its AI tools, which will all be housed in a single app rather than needing to switch between multiple image editing programs.Updated cameras are just part of what will be on the schedule for Samsung's big mobile showcase. The expected Galaxy S26, Galaxy S26+ and Galaxy S26 Ultra will likely have a lot of AI-centric features.This article originally appeared on Engadget at https://www.engadget.com/mobile/smartphones/samsung-teases-mobile-ai-photography-tools-ahead-of-unpacked-233000358.html?src=rss
Well soon get a closer look at a bunch of features and updates Google has planned for Android and its other services. The company has confirmed that Google I/O 2026 will take place on May 19 and 20. As always, Google will stream some of the keynotes and sessions for free, including the opening keynote (during which the company makes the bulk of its major I/O announcements).Although I/O is primarily a conference for developers, its typically where we first learn about major upcoming Android changes, which of course affect tens of millions of people. Expect a lot of news about Googles AI efforts as well, such as whats next for Gemini.See you all at Google I/O starting May 19th! https://t.co/KgNKbb3nMu pic.twitter.com/OD6x3IYtTi Sundar Pichai (@sundarpichai) February 17, 2026
As has been the case for several years, Google revealed the conferences dates for 2026 after enough folks completed a puzzle on the I/O website. This years puzzle has multiple builds to play through, all of which use Gemini. They start with a mini-golf game in which a virtual caddy thats powered by Gemini offers some of the most anodyne advice imaginable. The second build is a nonogram. If youve ever played a Picross game, youll know what to do here. Its about using logic to place tiles on a grid in order to create an image. Here, Google is using Gemini to generate endless game boards.The other three minigames are Word Wheel (which leverages Gemini 3 to automate level design), Super Sonicbot (which uses Gemini to introduce microphone mechanics where noise controls the Android Bots altitude) and Stretchy Cat. The latter uses Gemini 3 as a stage designer balancing game mechanics and difficulty to create endless play.This article originally appeared on Engadget at https://www.engadget.com/general/google-io-2026-is-set-for-may-19-and-20-200805024.html?src=rss
Texas is suing Wi-Fi router maker TP-Link for deceptively marketing the security of its products and allowing Chinese hacking groups to access Americans' devices, Attorney General Ken Paxton has announced. Paxton originally started looking into TP-Link in October 2025. Texas Governor Greg Abbott later prohibited state employees from using TP-Link products in January of this year. TP-Link is no longer owned by a Chinese company and its products are assembled in Vietnam, but Paxton's lawsuit claims that because the company's "ownership and supply-chain are tied to China" it's subject to the country's data laws, which require companies to comply with requests from Chinese intelligence agencies. The lawsuit also says that firmware vulnerabilities in TP-Link's hardware have already "exposed millions of consumers to severe cybersecurity risks."Engadget has asked TP-Link to comment on the Texas lawsuit and Paxton's claims. We'll update this article if we hear back.TP-Link was reportedly being investigated at the federal level in 2024 after its devices were connected to the massive "Salt Typhoon" hack that accessed data from multiple US telecom companies. Despite all signs pointing to the federal government getting ready to ban TP-Link in 2025, Reuters reports that the Trump administration paused plans to ban the companys routers in early February, ahead of a meeting between President Donald Trump and President Xi Jinping.This article originally appeared on Engadget at https://www.engadget.com/cybersecurity/texas-ag-sues-tp-link-over-purported-connection-to-china-193802258.html?src=rss
Netflix has been in the game adaptation business for a while now, but until recently most of its attention had been on adapting video games. Thats still very much happening, but the streaming giant is also now buying up rights for board game IP too, with the latest being Asmodees Ticket to Ride.
Netflix will look to greenlight a number of projects spanning TV, film and "additional formats," it wrote in a press release. The first of these will be a feature film written by Ben Mekler and Chris Amick. Ticket to Ride creator Alan R. Moon will serve as an executive producer on the project, which will be the games first on-screen adaptation. Exactly what it will look like is not yet clear, but the internet already has plenty of theories.
Ticket to Ride is a train-themed turn-based strategy and route-building game first released over 20 years ago. Since then it has gone on to ship more than 20 million copies and has been translated into over 30 languages. Its also been given the video game adaptation treatment before.
This is actually the second of Asmodees IP that Netflix has acquired the rights to, after announcing last year that Catan will also be making its way to screens in various forms. And it isnt just interested in scripted TV and movie opportunities. In early 2025, the company also signed a deal with Hasbro to adapt Monopoly into a TV game show.This article originally appeared on Engadget at https://www.engadget.com/entertainment/netflix-is-adapting-the-board-game-ticket-to-ride-180505164.html?src=rss