Xorte logo

News Markets Groups

USA | Europe | Asia | World| Stocks | Commodities



Add a new RSS channel

 
 


Keywords

2025-01-19 18:54:40| Engadget

It hasn't even been a full day since ByteDance shut down TikTok in the US, and now it says it's coming back. In a statement posted on X Sunday afternoon, TikTok wrote, In agreement with our service providers, TikTok is in the process of restoring service. The statement also thanked Trump, who will be sworn in on Monday and previously said he was considering giving TikTok an extension amid reports of potential bidders (though ByteDance has expressed no interest in selling). We will work with President Trump on a long-term solution that keeps TikTok in the United States, TikTok said. At the time of this writing, the TikTok app is once again up and running for me despite previously showing a message saying I can't use TikTok for now. Phew, what an agonizing checks watch 12 hours that was without it. TikTok doesn't yet seem to be back in the App Store or Google Play Store, though, so if you deleted the app from your phone, you'll probably have to wait a little longer to get it back. CapCut, one of the other apps affected by the ban, also isn't available.  STATEMENT FROM TIKTOK:In agreement with our service providers, TikTok is in the process of restoring service. We thank President Trump for providing the necessary clarity and assurance to our service providers that they will face no penalties providing TikTok to over 170 TikTok Policy (@TikTokPolicy) January 19, 2025 While the law banning TikTok was set to go into effect today, January 19, the outgoing administration has expressed that it would not be enforcing it in Bidens final hours as president. MSNBC reported on Saturday that White House Press Secretary Karine Jean-Pierre called TikToks threat to go dark a stunt, saying we see no reason for TikTok or other companies to take actions in the next few days before the Trump Administration takes office on Monday. But TikTok maintained that it couldnt stay online without assurance that service providers would not be punished. Trump chimed in on Sunday morning, writing on Truth Social, Im asking companies not to let TikTok stay dark! I will issue an executive order on Monday to extend the period of time before the laws prohibitions take effect, so that we can make a deal to protect our national security. The order will also confirm that there will be no liability for any company that helped keep TikTok from going dark before my order. He also outlined a vague plan for how he envisions TikToks future in the US. I would like the United States to have a 50% ownership position in a joint venture. By doing this, we save TikTok, keep it in good hands and allow it to say [sic] up. Without U.S. approval, there is no Tik Tok. I sure hope you arent already exhausted by the back and forth ridiculousness of this situation because, my friends, its not over.This article originally appeared on Engadget at https://www.engadget.com/social-media/tiktok-says-its-restoring-service-in-the-us-175440013.html?src=rss


Category: Marketing and Advertising

 

Latest from this category

19.02Russia's recent blocking of Telegram is reportedly disrupting its military operations in Ukraine
19.02Meta reportedly plans to release a smartwatch this year
19.02French stickers turn aging devices into badges of honor
19.02Mark Zuckerberg testifies in social media addiction trial that Meta just wants Instagram to be 'useful'
19.02Dyson announces the PencilWash wet floor cleaner
18.02Gemini can now generate a 30-second approximation of what real music sounds like
18.02Cyberpunk platformer Replaced has once again been delayed
18.02Nevada sues Kalshi for operating a sports gambling market without a license
Marketing and Advertising »

All news

19.02Russia's recent blocking of Telegram is reportedly disrupting its military operations in Ukraine
19.02New JPMorganChase report reveals midsize U.S. firms paid triple in tariffs last year
19.02This new social network is designed specifically for neurodivergent adults
19.02This is very serious: Judge threatens AI glasses wearers with contempt during Mark Zuckerbergs testimony
19.02Meta reportedly plans to release a smartwatch this year
19.02Googles threat intel chief explains why AI is now both the weapon and the target
19.02UPS is closing package facilities: See the list of doomed locations across several states in 2026
19.02Political brandings most infamous punctuation mark launched decades before you think
More »
Privacy policy . Copyright . Contact form .